The Northwoods Educational Opportunities Fund provides financial support for high school seniors and graduates of Mercer and Chequamegon (Park Falls) schools, as well as residents of the Town of Sherman.
- Graduate of: Mercer or Park Falls, Wisconsin, (Chequamegon School District); or who are residents of Town of Sherman in Iron County, Wisconsin, regardless of high school attending or attended
- Entering a post-secondary educational program at a two year (or less) vocational/technical college or a four year college or university; Master’s or doctoral students are not eligible
- GPA: 2.5 or higher
- Demonstrate Financial Need
- Participate in community service, volunteering or leadership
Scholarship Grant Range
$5,000 per year up to 4 years (Total $20,000)
- This scholarship is part of the Universal Application: December 1 – February 15
- ONE Universal Application: Create a profile in the scholarship portal. Fill out the first page of the universal application to filter through all of the scholarships you qualify for.
- This scholarship may be used for expenses of post-secondary education at any accredited college, university or technical/ vocational school
- Award Payments will be mailed directly to the school/ university
- Fall Payments are mailed July 15-30
- Spring Payments are mailed December 15-30
- Transferring Schools: Please contact DSACF if you plan on transferring schools. Transferring schools does not automatically transfer your scholarship. If a transfer occurs after scholarship money has been disbursed it may take up to 90 days to reprocess the scholarship payment.
DSACF encourages scholarship recipients to seek tax advice regarding scholarships. According to the IRS: Scholarships, fellowship grants, and other grants are tax-free if you meet the following conditions:
- You’re a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
- The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.