The Minnesota Power Foundation Positively Powerful Scholarship Fund provides need-based scholarships to deserving students in Minnesota Power’s service area who demonstrate integrity, academic achievement, grit and perseverance.
These scholarships minimize financial barriers to higher education while creating an economically thriving and culturally vibrant talent community in northeast and central Minnesota. Qualified students must be pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in business, management, computers, engineering, finance, marketing, education, sciences or the trades. Students also must reside in one of the following Minnesota counties: Aitkin, Benton, Carlton, Cass, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pine, St. Louis, Stearns, Todd and Wadena.
- Graduate of: Any Minnesota High School in the DSACF Service Community
- Pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Economics, Education (Math & Science), Engineering, Math, Science, Technology or AA/AS: Accounting, Business, Economics, Education (Math & Science), Electrical Maintenance/Power Generation, Energy Production/Management, Engineering, Finance, Industrial Technology/Controls, Lineman, Process Automations/Engineering, Science, Technology, or the trades
- Reside in one of the following Minnesota counties: Aitkin, Benton, Carlton, Cass, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pine, St. Louis, Stearns, Todd and Wadena.
- Attend one of the following schools: Central Lakes College, the College of St. Scholastica, Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College, Hibbing Community College, Iron Range Engineering, Itasca Community College, Lake Superior College, Leech Lake Tribal College, Mesabi Range College, Rainy River Community College, the University of Minnesota Duluth or Vermilion Community College
- Demonstrate Financial Need: have an expected family contribution to their education of no more than $25,000.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Demonstrate grit and perseverance
Scholarship Grant Range
- $1,500 – $2,500 for up to two years (Total $3,000-$5,000)
- This scholarship is part of the Universal Application: December 1 – February 15
- ONE Universal Application: Create a profile in the scholarship portal. Fill out the first page of the universal application to filter through all of the scholarships you qualify for.
- This scholarship may be used for expenses of post-secondary education at any accredited college, university or technical/ vocational school
- Award Payments will be mailed directly to the school/ university
- Fall Payments are mailed July 15-30
- Spring Payments are mailed December 15-30
- Transferring Schools: Please contact DSACF if you plan on transferring schools. Transferring schools does not automatically transfer your scholarship. If a transfer occurs after scholarship money has been disbursed it may take up to 90 days to reprocess the scholarship payment.
DSACF encourages scholarship recipients to seek tax advice regarding scholarships. According to the IRS: Scholarships, fellowship grants, and other grants are tax-free if you meet the following conditions:
- You’re a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
- The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.
Aitkin High School Area Learning Center Barnum High School
Bemidji High School Bigfork High School Blackduck High School Brainerd High School Bug O Nay Ge Shig School Butternut High School Carlton High School Cass Lake-Bena High School Cherry High School Chisholm High School Cloquet High School Cook County High School Cromwell-Wright High School Crosby-Ironton High School Deer River High School Drummond High School Duluth Denfeld High School Duluth East High School Eagle Valley High School East Central High School East Range Academy Esko High School/ Lincoln High School Eveleth-Gilbert High School Falls High School Floodwood High School Fond Du Lac Ojibwe School Grand Rapids High School Greenway High SchoolHarbor City International School Hermantown High School Hibbing Senior High School Hill City High School Hinckley-Finlayson High School Hurley High School Indus High School Kelliher High School Lake Region Christian School Lakeview Christian Academy Littlefork-Big Falls High School Long Prairie-Grey Secondary School Maranatha AcademyMarshall School McGregor High School Memorial High School (Ely) Mercer High School Mesabi East High School Moose Lake High School Mountain Iron-Buhl High School Nashwauk-Keewatin High School North Woods School Northeast Range High School Northern Lights Community School Northland High School Northome High School Pequot Lakes High School Pillager High School Pillager High School Pine River – Backus High School Proctor Senior High School Red Lake High School Rock Ridge High School ISD #2909 (Formerly Virginia High School) Solon Springs School South Ridge School Trek North High School Two Harbors High School Vermilion Country School (Rock Ridge Public Schools) Virginia High School Voyageurs Expeditionary High School Walker-Hackensack-Akeley High School William Kelley High Schooll (Silver Bay) Wrenshall High School GE