John A. Sullivan Scholarship Fund

The John A. and Jean Quinn Sullivan Scholarship Funds help graduates of Superior High School majoring in education.

Awards help those in the second half of studies at the University of Wisconsin-Superior. The Jean Quinn Sullivan Scholarship gives priority to those who express an interest in a degree in elementary education. The education Department at UWS oversees this scholarship.

Jean Quinn Sullivan lived in Superior most of her life. She was married to Mr John Sullivan, the owner and operator of the Sullivan Loan Co. She and her husband recognized the importance of higher education and created these scholarships to help students from Superior pursue higher education.



  • Must be a junior or senior at UWS in the Education Program. 
  • Attend: University of WI Superior 


Scholarship Grant Range

  • $2,000 – $3,000 for one year 


Application timeline

  • This scholarship is part of the John and Jean Sullivan Scholarship Application, open December 1 – February 15


Award Details

  • This scholarship may be used for expenses of post-secondary education at any accredited college, university or technical/ vocational school
  • Award Payments will be mailed directly to the school/ university 
    • Fall Payments are mailed July 15-30
    • Spring Payments are mailed December 15-30
  • Transferring Schools: Please contact DSACF if you plan on transferring schools. Transferring schools does not automatically transfer your scholarship. If a transfer occurs after scholarship money has been disbursed it may take up to 90 days to reprocess the scholarship payment. 


Tax information

DSACF encourages scholarship recipients to seek tax advice regarding scholarships. According to the IRS: Scholarships, fellowship grants, and other grants are tax-free if you meet the following conditions:

  • You’re a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
  • The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.

superior wisconsin northwest