The Walter and Anna Soneson Scholarship Fund provides a scholarship to recognize the academic accomplishments of Protestant graduates of Duluth public high schools who will attend an accredited college or university in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin. The will of Anna Soneson Rahn created the scholarship fund in 1961.
- Graduate of: Duluth Denfeld, Duluth East, Harbor City International
- Religious affiliation must be Protestant
- Demonstrate Financial need
- GPA: 2.5 or higher
- Demonstrate community involvement or volunteering
- Two Recommendation Forms required: from a teacher, advisor, employer, counselor or administrator, excluding parents or relatives
Scholarship Grant Range
$4,000 a year for up to 4 years ($16,000 total)
- This scholarship is part of the Universal Application: December 1 – February 15
- ONE Universal Application: Create a profile in the scholarship portal. Fill out the first page of the universal application to filter through all of the scholarships you qualify for.
- This scholarship may be used for expenses of post-secondary education at any accredited college, university or technical/ vocational school
- Award Payments will be mailed directly to the school/ university
- Fall Payments are mailed July 15-30
- Spring Payments are mailed December 15-30
- Transferring Schools: Please contact DSACF if you plan on transferring schools. Transferring schools does not automatically transfer your scholarship. If a transfer occurs after scholarship money has been disbursed it may take up to 90 days to reprocess the scholarship payment.
DSACF encourages scholarship recipients to seek tax advice regarding scholarships. According to the IRS: Scholarships, fellowship grants, and other grants are tax-free if you meet the following conditions:
- You’re a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
- The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.
Duluth Denfeld, Duluth East, Harbor City International School, Marshall School