The Scott Scholarship Fund recognizes academic achievements of the top two graduates each year at Cook County High School in Grand Marais.
This scholarship has no application process. Instead, it is awarded automatically to the valedictorian (60 percent of funds) and the salutatorian (40 percent of funds) at Cook County High. The trust of Effie M. Scott established the scholarship after her 1995 death, in keeping with her wishes.
- This scholarship may be used for expenses of post-secondary education at any accredited college, university or technical/ vocational school
- Award Payments will be mailed directly to the school/ university
- Fall Payments are mailed July 15-30
- Spring Payments are mailed December 15-30
- Transferring Schools: Please contact DSACF if you plan on transferring schools. Transferring schools does not automatically transfer your scholarship. If a transfer occurs after scholarship money has been disbursed it may take up to 90 days to reprocess the scholarship payment.
DSACF encourages scholarship recipients to seek tax advice regarding scholarships. According to the IRS: Scholarships, fellowship grants, and other grants are tax-free if you meet the following conditions:
- You’re a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
- The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.
grand marais minnesota