The Daniel Patrick Riley Memorial Scholarship helps graduates of Cook County High School pursuing liberal arts college educations. The award may be used for full-time enrollment at any accredited four-year college or university. Daniel Riley was a World War II fighter pilot and later worked for Northwest Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines. In retirement, he and his wife, Sue, built a home near Grand Marais. He loved history, current events, politics and the arts. The scholarship encourages Cook County graduates to pursue higher education.
- Graduate of: Cook County High School
- Demonstrate Financial Need
- Field of Study must be in the Liberal Arts or a helping type of degree (programs including, but not limited to history, political science, writing, journalism, education, health and the fine arts)
- Participate in extracurriculars or employment
- Demonstrate community involvement, leadership, or participate in school activities.
Scholarship Grant Range
- $5,000 for one year
- This scholarship is part of the Universal Application: December 1 – February 15
- ONE Universal Application: Create a profile in the scholarship portal. Fill out the first page of the universal application to filter through all of the scholarships you qualify for.
- This scholarship may be used for expenses of post-secondary education at any accredited college, university or technical/ vocational school
- Award Payments will be mailed directly to the school/ university
- Fall Payments are mailed July 15-30
- Spring Payments are mailed December 15-30
- Transferring Schools: Please contact DSACF if you plan on transferring schools. Transferring schools does not automatically transfer your scholarship. If a transfer occurs after scholarship money has been disbursed it may take up to 90 days to reprocess the scholarship payment.
DSACF encourages scholarship recipients to seek tax advice regarding scholarships. According to the IRS: Scholarships, fellowship grants, and other grants are tax-free if you meet the following conditions:
- You’re a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
- The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.
cook county grand marais minnesota