Our grants make a difference in our communities and region, as well as in the lives of those touched by the work of our nonprofit partners. The foundation provides grants to organizations classified as charitable under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or classified under Section 170(c)(1) of the code.
Grant priorities include the arts, community and economic development, education, the environment and human services. The foundation focuses support on new projects and organizational start-ups for a limited time. Some field-of-interest and donor-advised funds consider requests for ongoing project or organizational support, as well as capital and equipment funding. Please consult with our team for more information as some funds have a specific geographic focus..
Projects generally must be located in or provide service to residents in our service territory. It includes seven counties of northeast Minnesota (Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake and St. Louis), five counties in northwest Wisconsin (Ashland, Bayfield, Douglas, Iron and Price), and seven tribal nations including:
- Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Mashkiiziibii
- Bois Forte Band of Chippewa, Atisokanigamig
- Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Nah-Gah-Chi-Wa-Nong
- Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Gichi Onigaming
- Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe
- Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
- Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Gaa-Miskwaabikaang